Wednesday, September 08, 2010

What I saw and how I lied by Judy Blundell


Pupil Review by Stephanie Carrick S2

What I Saw And How I Lied by Judy Blundell


What I Saw And How I Lied is a very good book. News of the World claimed "You'll be holding your breath as you turn every page." But I must say that I disagree. This book is quite hard to get into because it has a very slow start. However, nearer the end, it gets much more exiting. It was not my favourite book, but it is one I shall never forget.



This book is about a 16 year old girl called Evie, who lives with her mother, Beverly, her step-father, Joe, and her grandmother, Gladys. It is set in the late 1940's, and Joe has just returned form WWII. He suggest's that the family go on vacation to a little island in florida, called Palm Beach. They leave the very next day, and while there, they meet on of Joe's army friend's, Peter Coleridge. Both Evie and her mum fall in love with Peter, leaving a huge mess. They both have a secret romance with him at the same time. However, whatever happened during battle, has caused Joe and Peter to fall out. Therefore, Joe decides that Evie and Beverly should stay away from Peter. However, they ignore Joe and continue with their romances. Thats when strange thing's begin to happen.



It is not until quite far on in the book that all the secrets begin to come out. This happens after Peter falls overboard while on a fishing trip. A huge hurricane hits, causing the boats engine to stop, then a huge wave knocks poor Peter overboard. Joe and Beverly survive, but when they arrive back at Palm Beach, to find Evie, they discover that people think they murdered Peter. Evie, Beverly and Joe find themselves catapulted into a terrible and messy situation, in which they must stand trial in Palm Beach Court. I am not going to tell you if they are found guilty or innocent. If you really want to know, you can borrow this book from the library.


Over-all, I give this book three and a half stars out of five.

No comments: