Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Starting out

This a blog about reading and writing run by Mrs Bax, school librarian at Doon Academy, with contributions from other staff and pupils.

To get things going I am going to mention what I am reading at the moment which is The Colour by Rose Tremain. The novel is set in New Zealand at the time of the gold rush and features a couple who have emigrated from England. Rose Tremain is great at giving you a feel for the countryside and for life at that time. It is a compelling read.

There is a new Terry Pratchett discworld book out called Thud! officially due to be published in hardback on 1st October 2005. Thud! stars Capt. Vimes and features a murdered dwarf. It will be on my Christmas list.

The Staff Reading Group is currently on The Food of Love by Anthony Capella. I finished it almost immediately and thought it was great fun. I love Italy and Italian food and the book is full of both.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I borrowed my son's Grapes of Wrath the other day. I couldn't put it down.